Charles took $ 3 million in cash stuffed in bags from Sheikh – The Daily Beast

Welcome to this week’s edition Royalist, The Daily Beast newsletter for all royal and royal families. Subscribe here to get in the inbox every Sunday.

Charles’ verdict under new supervision over bags of money

Picture from the cartoon Prince Charles rubbing his hands happily as he tosses bags full of bills into the back of his Aston Martin on wine like something from a dishonest British comedy Windsors is today in the mind of the Royalist.

The picture follows the startling revelation that the heir to the throne was personally handed a million-euro suitcase (just over $ 1.05 million) by a politician representing a wealthy Arab state engaged in oil production.

It was one of three lots of cash, worth a total of 3 million euros ($ 3.2 million), that Prince Charles personally received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar nicknamed ‘HBJ’, between 2011. 2015. ” London Sunday Times reports.

The story, which a senior ethics official described as “really shocking,” will solidify Charles ’reputation for financial indiscipline in many minds. While it may be a little too much to say that this threatens his inheritance, it certainly raises urgent and new questions about the heir to the throne’s judgment when it comes to monetary matters.

Late last year, Charles lost his key aide Michael Fawcett, who was forced to leave the Charles Foundation after it was revealed he had arranged an honor for the Saudi billionaire donor, explicitly in exchange for donations. Charles denied any knowledge of the transaction arrangement, but a reported police investigation into the matter did not provide answers because it was discreet to the point of invisibility. Prince Harry emphatically accused his father of being involved in what he described as a “scandal” over the affair.

In the latest disaster he has caused himself, he has hit Charles Sunday Times revealed that Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani personally gave Charles bags of money on three separate occasions between 2011 and 2015.

HBJ is said to have given the prince a million euros in 500-euro banknotes at every opportunity – sometimes referred to as “bin Ladens” because they are used by organized criminal gangs linked to terrorism. Once the money was stuffed into plastic shopping bags from the luxury grocery store Chelsea and the department store Fortnum & Mason, which holds the royal charter from the prince. The second time the money was in a suitcase, and the third time in a suitcase.

Clarence House insisted Times that it does not matter that the money, which was deposited in the account with the exclusive bankers Coutts, accidentally arrived in cash and that “all the correct processes were followed”.

However, a source described as “one of Charles’ former advisers who managed part of the cash,” he told Sunday Times that “everyone felt very uncomfortable about the situation,” adding that “the only thing we could do was count the money and make a joint record of what we did. And then call the bank. ”

HBJ, a member of Qatar’s ruling al-Thani family, is a very controversial figure, with an estimated personal fortune of $ 12 billion, as he served as Qatar’s prime minister between 2007 and 2013, during which he nurtured close ties with the United Kingdom, which he saw how the country’s huge state fund invests in Harrods and the iconic London skyscraper Shard.

Charles was believed to have used his influence to force the Qataris to withdraw from the reconstruction of a prominent place in Chelsea called the Chelsea Barracks. The High Court said Charles’ involvement in the matter was “unexpected and undesirable.”

Sir Alistair Graham, former chairman of the Standards Committee in Public Life, said Sunday Times the revelations were “truly shocking,” saying, “I wouldn’t differentiate between a politician and a member of the royal family. If the Qatari government wants to give a gift to his foundation, then there are the right ways to do it instead of handling large amounts of cash. ”

Beatrice’s ID card was allegedly refused in Glast

At the other end of the financial scale, Princess Beatrice’s bank card was apparently rejected three times at a bar at the British Glastonbury Music Festival. The spy said Daily Star: “She tried to pay by card, but was refused three times.”

Good news for her father, Prince Andrewon the monetary plane, however. Mirror reports that author Ingrid Seward told True Royalty TV Royal rhythm, “They won’t kick him out because they will have more problems and start talking and giving TV interviews and writing books. They don’t want it again. He will be financially secure, but I would be very surprised if he keeps the Royal Lodge. ”

Andrew smiles

If Prince Andrew is worried about losing his title of Duke of York – after 80 per cent of the city’s residents said they wanted it to sever their ties with him – he didn’t show it on Saturday. The Daily MayI showed him merrily riding a horse around the Windsor Castle estate.

As reported by The Daily BeastCentral York MP Rachael Maskell put forward the “Title Removal Act” after polls showed that 80 percent of its citizens wanted to be released from their relationship with the embarrassed royal family, who refused to stop using the title, which they received as a wedding gift in 1986. years.

Maskell said Daily mail: “Back in February, when we were in the focus of a lawsuit against Andrew, my constituents responded that 80 percent of people want to sever ties with the current Duke of York. So I met with officials here at the Commons to see how that could be achieved. ”

She revealed that “there are no mechanisms, even for a monarch, to remove the title. The only real way to do that is for Andrew to no longer be called, by choice, the Duke of York. ”

She added: “Using a title like the Duke of York is an ambassadorial role, it bears the name of our city around the world.

“And it is a city, which is a city of human rights, the only city for human rights in England. We are already in a cultural conflict when we talk about violence against women and girls and the issues we are working really hard on in the city, about making York a very safe place. ”

Subscribe here to get all the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Teeman.

Epstein’s victim: Andrew’s photo made me “shake” with horror

Annie Farmer, victim of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, says the Sun. that she was shaken by a picture of Andrew with Maxwell, his arm around Virginia Roberts Giuffre. Farmer, speaking before Maxwell’s sentencing on Tuesday, said in a statement about the impact: “I remember sitting at my desk in a Houston hospital and physically shaking after seeing a photo of Maxwell with Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew because I became it is clear how the scheme has continued. ”

“I would never have met Epstein if it weren’t for you,” writes Farmer, who claims the abuse in Epstein and Maxwell’s hands happened when she was 16 years old. “You opened the gates of hell. And then, Ghislaine, like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, you used your femininity to betray us, and you took us all through it. ” The couple did “unimaginable things to her,” Farmer says.

Kings contemplate colonial heritage

The sign that members of the royal family are at least trying to address the many horrors of Britain’s colonial past comes with the news that Prince Charles wants slavery to be given public recognition, much like the annual memory of the Holocaust.

During his visit to Rwanda last week, Charles expressed “personal grief” over the UK’s links to the slave trade, no doubt encouraged to speak on the issue by protests over the legacy of slavery on William and Kate’s recent Caribbean tour, which has been criticized in some circles as ” deaf to tone “.

A high royal source said Sunday Times: “He is a sponsor of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust and notes that in the UK we now know and learn everything about the Holocaust at school, so it is something that is recognized and taught nationally. This is not true of the transatlantic slave trade, and perhaps it should be.

“So, just like Holocaust Remembrance Day, is there any way to do that? Have a moment, have a way to remember it? ”

Queen Elizabeth II crowns her son Charles, Prince of Wales, during his investiture ceremony at Caernarvon Castle.

Hulton Archive / Getty

This week in royal history

July 1 is one of the strangest dates in the royal calendar, marking the birth of Princess Diana on that day in 1961, while on the same day eight years later, in 1969, Prince Charles became Prince of Wales at an investiture ceremony at Caernarvon Castle. in North Wales.

Unanswered questions

If someone shows up at your house with a million dollars in cash on three separate occasions, maybe you don’t think you should call the authorities? This begs the question: will the latest scandal with the mysterious money prove to be just embarrassing for Prince Charles, or could it worsen and end up jeopardizing his real legitimacy as monarch?

Do you like the royal reporting of The Daily Beast? sign up here to receive Royalist newsletters directly to your inbox.

#Charles #million #cash #stuffed #bags #Sheikh #Daily #Beast

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.